Q. How do I setup my GOL Internet connection in an Apple router?
A. Please follow these instructions to make changes to your Airport Extreme* router or Time Capsule
*Please note, the Airport Extreme is referred to as an AirMac Extreme in Japan
1. Insert the LAN cable from your NTT device into the WAN Port on your Apple router, then connect your computer to one of the ethernet ports in the back of your Apple router.
2. On the top right-hand corner of your computer, choose the wireless signal indicator in the menu bar next to the clock (it will look like an upside down triangle with horizontal lines on the inside of it). Choose the Apple network that appears. This is your wireless network. We will change the name of the wireless network to one of your choice in the steps below.
3. Open the Finder and then go to Applications > Utilities and double-click on the AirPort Utility
NOTE - If you are using a Windows machine and have already installed the AirPort Utility, you should be able to find the application using the search function, if you do not now know where it is located. If you have not yet installed the AirPort Utility, you can download a copy of this here
4. Once the AirPort Utility has opened, hover over the image of your Apple router (bottom image). In the pop-up window, click EDIT.
5. In this window as shown in the image below:
- Click on the Internet tab at the top
- Choose PPPoE from the drop-down menu
- Fill-in your GOL connection ID and Password
- For the Service Name we suggest GOL
Depending on the service you are using, the connection ID should look like one of those listed below:
- FLETS ADSL - firstname.lastname@example.org
- BFETS/FLETS NEXT Fiber Optic Mansion type - email@example.com
- BFETS/FLETS NEXT Fiber Optic Family type -firstname.lastname@example.org
Proceed to Step 6 without clicking Update.
6. Choose the Wireless tab at the top of the page as shown in the image below. Then:
- Choose 'Create a wireless networ' from the Network Mode drop-down menu.
- Enter a Wireless Network Name. Do not use your real name. We also suggest to write this name on a post-it type paper and tape it to the back of your router.
- Choose WPA2 Personal from the Wireless Security drop-down menu.
- Check 'Remember this password in my keychain'.
- Check 'Enable Guest Network' and choose a password. Give this to guests visiting you so that they will not be able to see your computer or it's contents when using your wireless network.
Now click Update.
The Apple router will now restart and you should see a green light on the router. Open Safari to check that you are connected successfully to the Internet. If not:
- Reopen the Airport Utility and check your Connection ID and Password. Note that they are case sensitive and that there should not be any spaces before or after these.
If the light on the Apple router is amber/yellow and not green:
- Reopen the Airport Utility, hover over your Apple router on the first screen and you should see the errors. Review these errors.
If you have any questions please call us at 0120-987-800 Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00-17:00.
Tags: airport, apple, connection, extreme, internet, setup, time capsule